Today, i will show you how you can set up your computer to use the free speech recognition feature.
What You Need Before You Start
Before you can use the Speech Recognition feature on Windows 7, you need to follow these simple steps to activate this free feature. You will also need a good quality microphone. I used a headset microphone that plugged directly into the outlets marked with a mic and a headset icon on my computer. Some documentation will say that you should use a headset with a USB plug for the headphone and microphone. However the regular two piece connectors, one for the microphone and no one for the headset work perfectly. I use a Plantronics headset from Office Depot.
- Step 1 – Click on the Start button which is the Windows icon on the bottom left of your screen.
- Step 2 – Click on Control Panel
- Step 3 – Click on Speech Recognition
- Step 4 – Click set up microphone – followed the instructions on the screen.
- Step 5 – Learn how to talk to your computer by clicking on the words Take Speech Tutorial – this tutorial takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes. You will need to read the instructions and then you can interact with the computer via the microphone on your headset. You may want to print out the Speech Referenced Card, as a quick reference to commonly used commands in using this speech recognition feature.
Similar to your smart phone the speech recognition feature in Windows 7 builds a voice profile on you as you continue to use the program.
Step 6 Your final step before you begin using the speech recognition feature is to click on “Train your computer to better understand you.” This will improve your computer’s ability to understand your speech.
Now you can begin using your voice recognition feature. Open programs, send emails, search the web and dictate text. You’ll find that an as you continue to use this feature it will become easier to edit. Many people will find it easier to do a combination of speaking text into the speech recognition feature and editing with the keyboard if they are able.